Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Regimen



It has been 3 months since I have been completely natural.  Over the last 3 months, I have learned so much about taking care of my own hair in its natural state.  As a new natural, you are tempted to try almost every hair product out there that promises beautiful curls.  The most important thing to remember is that what works for one person may not work for the next so "Do You".  DO NOT be disappointed if you have followed your favorite curly's hair regimen to a "T" and you don't get the same results.  Use other's regimen as a starting point or a reference to create your own look.  Remember, we are each uniquely and wonderfully made!

Currently, my regimen goes as follows:

Shampoo with Taliah Waajid Total Body Black Earth Shampoo
This is a natural shampoo.  It seems to work fairly well.  It does not leave my hair feeling stripped.

Detangle with TRESemme` luxurious moisture conditioner
This is a great detangling conditioner.  I finger detangle under running water with conditioner.  It's not very expensive so feel free to pile it on while trying to get rid of those tangles.  I have read that some ladies also use this as a leave in.

Deep condition with Le Kair Cholesterol Plus (Yes, I still use this).  Sit under dryer about 20-30 min
Yes, you read right.  I still use the cholesterol from back in the day that "momma" would put on when conditioning my relaxed hair. 

Leave in conditioner Mixed Chicks
This seems to work pretty well.  No complaints here.

Styling/Moisturizing products

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
I have found that this does not really enhance any curls.  Maybe, I'm using it incorrectly.  I have found that it is a great moisturizer for my hair. 

Organic Root Stimulator Nature's Shine
I put this on to seal in the moisture that I just applied.  This contains coconut oil, soybean oil, kukui nut oil, essential oils of lemon, bergamont, and spearmint.

Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme
I have found that this product holds a style extremely well.  Of all the products I have tried for natural hair, this is probably my favorite.  Right now, I'm rockin' a 6 day, yes 6 day flat twist out.  I love this stuff.  You do not have to apply a lot.  A little goes a long way.

Flat twist each section & let dry
My hair is extremely thick.  I usually have about 16-17 flat twists when I'm finished.  Most of the time, I let my hair air dry.  It probably takes 8 or more hours for my hair to completely dry.  I have seen several ladies that set their hair, wrap it up, go to bed, and their hair is dry the next morning.  That does not work for me at all.  If I have time constraints, I will sit under the dryer for at least 2 hours. 

I hope this helps someone start a healthy hair care routine.  What hair care regimen has worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment